Saturday, March 9, 2013

Style Goes North By Northwest

Oregon, it was a trip I took in March of 2011.  I went there to see my best friend before she moved back to New Mexico.  The area is Gorgeous!
This is our busy day.  This was the day we shopped.  It was the day I went to the beach; we actually hit the beach twice and both days were overcast.  This was the day I toured a Coast Guard ship.  It was the day I viewed Jersey Shores, the first and only time I've viewed that show.  It was also the last night I hung out with the Coast Guard, at a fun little bar in Astoria.  My entire trip was spent driving to different cities in Oregon and Washington. 
The beach - it was cold and overcast, not quite bikini weather.  I always seem to hit beaches at the wrong time of the year.
Leave it to me to find the place with all the candy.  Bloodhound senses kick in when sweets are around. 
I'm a sucker for vintage, in art and clothing.  According to Merriam Webster, the term vintage relates primarily to wine and is an altered form of the French word vendage, meaning "the grapes picked during a season." One of its secondary definitions is "a period of origin or manufacture" (e.g., a vintage 1960s Mercedes) or "length of existence: age."  I like that definition of "vintage", being an item that is emblematic of its era. It makes perfect sense considering the word's heritage as a wine term.
Amanda, we were buying candy for the Jersey Shore hangout.
Can you guess which one I purchased?  Those who know me know that I love all things pumpkin.  I also like the flavor of eggnog.  That is why I purchased both the pumpkin and the eggnog.
Seaside isn't a far drive from Astoria, about 14 miles.  It wasn't an all day trip, just a short shopping spree.
Astoria is a quaint little coastal community situated near the mouth of the Columbia River.  Sea Lions are very common along the central coast of Oregon.  These guys are residents of Astoria, it's very common to see them hanging out on the docks as well as swimming in the water.  Sea Lions make a lot of noise, they are constantly barking.  One of the coolest thing to do in Astoria, besides going to Astoria Column, is to watch the Sea Lions on the docks.
I wasn't really ship watching, but I did find myself fascinated by all the different types of cargo ships and sea going vessels streaming along the Columbia River.
The sky, an object of vast beauty, an infinite mystery, a simple sunset is what I witnessed that day.  The orange glow, a precursor to the oncoming twilight.  The moment is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment