Saturday, December 20, 2014

To Dream By Day




As much as I loved being a bartender and the people I worked with, I woke up one day and decided that bartending no longer gave me a sense of fulfillment.  There was no thrill in mixing drinks and creating new ones.  There came a point when I could no longer justify spending my days working behind a bar doing something that didn’t make me tick. I quickly realized that in order for me to be happy I needed to make a change.  I did the thing that no one thought I'd do, I resigned from my position.  Many people asked me why I would quit my job.  The simple answer is that the paycheck I was receiving for doing the job did not provide me with any financial security.  I'm not ready or willing to live that lifestyle of a stable yet unfulfilled job.  It wasn’t my passion. It no longer felt right to do the job.  I could spend the same amount of time sitting in front of my computer, never leaving my home, and make the same kind of money writing and marketing.  It turns out, when I'm focused, I make substantially more.  The reality is that bartending was never really my dream.  It was something different for me.  I had worked retail for so long, I needed to step out of that comfort zone.  Retail is in my blood.  I have extensive experience in retail.  Bartending was a new creative experience for me. 

What is my dream?  I used to think that writing would just be a hobby for me.  Through my teenage years, I never thought that I could actually make a living as a writer.  Now, after a few years of working freelance, I realize that I really want to live the life of a writer.  It's harder, but I'm much happier.  It does take practice and I'm still a work in progress.  Life is way too short not to do something you love.  It's amazing how when you start with one small step, how that can build into so much momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment