Sunday, September 13, 2015

I Desire Always to Stretch My Dreams Further and Further


Fall is wonderful, now.  It wasn't always my favorite season.  Fall marks the beginning of the school year, and what kid likes going back to school after spending long summer days out playing with their friends and causing trouble around the neighborhood.  That's not a hundred percent accurate, I was a good kid, and I rarely caused trouble, but summer did mean I had a certain level of freedom.  I could stay up all night, and sleep all day, because I didn't have anywhere to be the next day. 

Fall is a season I grew to appreciate, and as I grow older I fall more and more in love with the season.  The colors, the holidays, the changes, the food, the clothes, the boots – everything about fall is like magic to me.

Every year the autumn months are similar - a beautiful change of season - everything goes into a sleeping state, nature begins the process of readying itself for the harsh winter.  Leaves change color, and fall from the trees.  Some animals and bugs are getting ready to hibernate, and some are getting ready to migrate to warmer climates.  The morning and evening air shifts, and the days shift from brutally hot to a more bearable temperature; that slight morning chill dissipates as the day progresses into the afternoon and returns when darkness blankets the sky.  The days are comfortable, the evenings make you want to curl up in front of a roaring fire, and the mornings make you grateful for the warmth of your bed.



Muted colors are everywhere.  They become the theme of the season.  Orange is everywhere, and so is brown, wine colored reds, as well as olive and forest greens.  Colors are toned down to reflect the mood of the season.  This is the season when the fashion world flourishes.  I love fashion.  I love fall fashion.  Skirts and dresses paired with boots can be seen worn by everyone. Plaid and argyle (my two favorite patterns) can be found prominently displayed in storefront windows.  Sweaters and light jackets make their appearance.  It's a fun time of the year to experiment with your look.  Men in trench length wool jackets… sexy.  I don't know why, but I love it.

Pumpkin is everywhere.  My favorite foods make an appearance during the fall months: pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pancakes, apple cakes, cinnamon spiced foods, turkey, soups and stews.  And some of my favorite beverages occur at this time as well: warm apple or cherry cider, hot chocolate with lots of whipped cream, pumpkin spiced everything, and hot tea.  It's not the pumpkin I love.  It's the spice mix, found in pumpkin flavored foods, that I love. It's not just the taste either, I love how it makes the entire house smell when you are cooking it.  Cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg baked together is a heavenly scent combination for me.  Cinnamon is my favorite scent. 

Halloween and Thanksgiving occur during the fall, and of the two holidays, Halloween is still my favorite fall holiday.  I don't care how old I get, I love getting dressed up and taking my niece and nephew trick-or-treating around the neighborhood. On the reverse, when I can't be with my niece and nephew, I love handing out candy to the young children who don't actually understand why they are dressed the way they are, knocking on stranger's doors, holding out a bag or bucket unsure if that is what they are supposed to do, uttering a phrase, and then seeing the delight on their faces when they realize what they were just given. It's a special feeling, and because I'm the generous candy lady, I usually get repeat visitors.



Football season starts, and while I am not a rowdy fan, I do have a team I root for.  For me it's the spirit that comes with the sport, the ribbing and the teasing, not necessarily the game itself. I think it's interesting to be around like minded people who get so involved in a team that the team's win or loss becomes almost personal to them.  I love the energy and the excitement of the game.  The winning or losing doesn't matter to me, I'm not the one being paid millions of dollars to play the game.  It's a fun sport to watch, but I don't take my love for the sport to an extreme.  Still, there is nothing like going to an actual game, rooting for your team, and then watching them win.

Travelling.  When I was working full-time, I had to plan my vacations around business levels, and that meant I could not take vacations during the summer months.  I favored taking my vacations during the fall months with an occasional spring trip.  School starts in the fall.  With kids back in school, less people travel.  I get some of my best travel discounts and deals during the fall, and I have the opportunity to explore cities at their least crowded moments.

I'm not sure what it is, but there's something so intense about fall that makes you feel more deeply than any other season. I love spring, but it's a rejuvenating love, but fall is deep joy and eventide love. There's so much beauty in things beginning to die and rest, the colors are keen and vivid, and those beautiful memories linger and bring their warmth into winter.

Every year my love for this season is rekindled. Just like an old spark that turns into a flame… I fall in love with fall every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment