Saturday, March 7, 2015

I Find My Strength in Passion and Love


There is something about stillness and quiet that seems to open the mind.  I think that by eliminating some of the normal “noise” going on in our lives, we are able to finally hear what we’re trying to say to ourselves.  For me, morning is the best time for this to occur.

I prepare my mind for writing by silencing inner chatter.  I remind myself that I am confident that there are many ideas available to me.  I then allow the ideas to flow into my mind and then onto paper.  This almost sounds like writing as prayer.

I find the best way for me to start is to go outside and take a walk – ideas come to me naturally when I'm outdoors.  I may have to deliberately focus on stilling my mind if nothing comes to me, but that is a rarity.  When I get home I start writing.  If I get stuck along the way, I go for more walks.

Since I write every single day, there always seems to be a part of my brain that is on alert for story and article ideas.  At that time, the only thing that registers is ‘huh, that could work!’   Then as I am doing something quiet, like walking or running, my mind starts to formulate the direction the story/article will take.  It’s not really a deliberate or conscious process.  Thoughts are still just drifting through.  Finally, when I am ready to write, I sit down, block out the world, and let the story unfold.  In order for all this to take place, I need to make sure I have ‘quiet time’ every single day.  It’s good for the soul, and good for the stories.

For me surrendering to the writing process and allowing ideas to come up organically is powerful and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment