Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Dreamer, I Walked Enchanted, and Nothing Held Me Back


I've said this many times to my friends and family; in order to achieve anything worthwhile in this life, it's going to take a lot of practice, patience, and hard work. You will not succeed until you actually start. While I would be happy to show others how to get ahead, I can't do the work for them. If they want to create income streams, then they have to actually start working towards that goal. With effort comes rewards and success. I give them the tools, show them the opportunities, it's up to them to use them.

When I look at the things that we can accomplish as a group and individually, from the bottom up, they look huge and scary. I see the opportunities. I see what I can do. I see millions of ways to create revenue streams, but it's a lot of hard work, too much for one person to handle alone. I do what I can in the moment so as to not be too overwhelmed. Because everything looks so mammoth, it's hard to know where and when to start. I think that is the reason so many make excuses and procrastinate on starting; there is a level of self-doubt because they don't think they can achieve success. It's that I'm not good enough mentality that destroys their willingness to try. Even I face those challenges. There is a world of critics awaiting us and not everyone is going to agree with or like the things I create. I think self-doubt keeps us from realizing our true potential as human beings. It holds us back. It's only when we tear the layers of negative thinking away that we begin to see what we are truly capable of achieving.

Writing is a process. For me, I start the process by writing down what it is that I want to accomplish. I write down the ideas that sit in my head. I write down the things I know, and the things I can easily talk about. By doing this I begin to see my thoughts take shape, the ideas form, and by seeing them take form, I'm motivated to keep that thought process going. The more I create, the more momentum I gain. Even if you start by making a list of ideas and tackle the smaller, easier, more manageable ideas, you'll have something in front of you to work with. From there you can build. Once you start working on the ideas from your list, you'll start to feel as if the load that you're carrying is getting lighter and that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. You'll start to feel accomplished. Each step you take towards completing your objective gives you strength and courage to keep on going. It's like exercising: the more time you spend working out, the stronger, healthier, and more clear minded you become. Writing, like exercise, is a slow going process, but the rewards are worth the time and effort spent. If you want to make a living on-line, it's going to be through content, and writing is the most important part of that content. Google indexes words, not pictures.

The book I am currently writing is a monstrous undertaking. Thirty days to write a novel is a pressurized task. Doing it without editing, and knowing I have to go back and rework plot holes, find all spelling and grammar mistakes, find a way to create cover art so that I can turn around and publish the material, is going to be a daunting task in itself. They say a writer has to set their work aside for a while, and revisit it when their mind is fresh in order to catch glaring errors because the writer is too close to their own work, and is often focused on the writing and not the mistakes that are sitting right in front of them. The idea of having to set my work aside makes me feel a little sick because I am anxious to publish. But, I have to ask myself, do I want to publish a book before it goes through the editing process and risk turning readers off to reading my book, thereby destroying my credibility as a writer?

No comments:

Post a Comment